Sphere of Activities
The organization will seek to advance the role of the Youth in fighting Climate Change conditions and create youth active participation in supporting initiatives that will lead to their gaining better economic and social standing, all the while fighting climate change. To meet this main objective, the Organization will work with the following specific objectives:
- To create an understanding of the impact of climate change and increase ‘climate literacy’ among the youth.
- To raise awareness on climate change impact, mitigation and adaptation strategies, particularly related to the Youth and targeting them, their families, and communities.
- Educate the youth about Uganda’s climate crisis and assist them to collectively come up with strategies to mitigate this situation.
- To engage the youth and communities in coming up with interventions to directly influence the behavior and attitudes of the communities about climate change issues.
- To harmonize ways of dealing with environmental degradation and climate change and come up with changes that can aid in handling the effects in a sustainable manner.
- Create awareness on environmental challenges that threaten health and livelihoods and introduce measures that can contribute to the solution like girls’ education, sustainable agriculture, income generation, and reproductive health.
- To make Youth and their families more aware of environment-friendly lifestyles and consumption patterns and to experiment with them in daily life to reduce their carbon emissions and consequently change their behavior.
- To aid the local leaders promote and support bottom-up participation with key local stakeholders in communities like families, teachers, and local administrators to come up with relevant local mitigation and adaptation measures on relevant local aspects related to climate change mitigation and adaptation issues.
- Encouraging innovative approaches to integrate climate change issues in school and by raising awareness about climate change as well as enhancing non-formal education programs through media, networking, and partnerships.
- Partner with other existing international and national organizations, government Ministries, and Agencies that operate in Uganda and share its objectives, in implementing strategies aimed at fighting climate change and associated effects.
- Engage in fundraising to assist, support and foster the endeavors of extremely vulnerable individuals, homes and or communities,
- Bring together youth, in a forum setting, to discuss the challenges faced by Uganda’s Climate and develop potential solutions,
- Educate the youth about Uganda’s climate crises and assist them in collectively come up with strategies that they can engage in both mitigate and create income as a way of sustaining their homes and communities,
- Create opportunities for the youth to gain first-hand experience of the rich diversity and unique challenges found within Uganda,
- Train and create income-generating activities for vulnerable youth especially the child mothers, school dropouts, unemployed, etc,
- Form branches, student chapters, and centers nationally to foster broader awareness of climate change and YOFICC in general.